Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Be Grateful. Be Happy.

Thursday is Thanksgiving Day. Apart from stuffing ourselves and hanging our heads in shames for atrocities committed against Native Americans, this holiday is a great opportunity to take the time to be grateful, to give thanks.

May You Have Something Wonderful to Drink as You Ring In the New Year!

It turns out being grateful is good for your health. According to a recent New York Times article

Cultivating an “attitude of gratitude” has been linked to better health, sounder sleep, less anxiety and depression, higher long-term satisfaction with life and kinder behavior toward others, including romantic partners.

It thus seems a worthwhile endeavor to spend some time writing about what I am grateful for.

I am grateful...

  • For inspiring students who bring thought-provoking questions to the classroom and go on to do fabulous things in life.
  • For supportive colleagues who are willing to do everything from pick my kids up from school when I am in a pinch to writing letters of recommendation for me, to reviewing early drafts of my work.
  • For my job, which allows me to do things I think are important and meaningful.
  • For my parents, who raised me in ways that instilled confidence as well as a fighting spirit in me.
  • For my husband, who is willing to do small and large things to make my life more enjoyable.
  • For my children, who bring joy to each of my days and remind me of the importance of being happy.
  • For my friends, near and far, who are there to lend an ear and plenty of sage advice when I need it.
  • For life. I am truly grateful to be alive and healthy and to have plenty of years ahead of me.

I am also grateful to the many readers of this blog, who inspire me to keep writing more!

What are you grateful for?

2 comments:

  1. I´m grateful that I did not die from the stroke last year. Grateful for the great wind coming up over the roofs in Stockholm. Greatful for exhusband, lovers, and friends, birds, trees, and the gentle housemaid who comes by twice a week. Grateful for music, mountains, the sea. Journeys made, and journeys yet to make.
    Greatful for truthtelling authors, writers and bloggers. And for every night of sound sleep.

    Grateful - also - for having a critical mind, and not being too sweet, all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabrielle. Yes. I too am very grateful for every night of sound sleep!

    ReplyDelete